1979 DE 32' Isabella for sale Welcome to the Downeaster Yachts Forum Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
1979 DE 32' Isabella for sale
Isabella
Matthews Point, NC
Members
November 1, 2014 - 1:56 pm
Forum Posts: 36
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Isabella is going on the market! My husband had an 18' fall and is not in the position to sail our boat. We love our Isabella but she needs to go to a new home. She is currently at Matthews Point Marina, outside Havelock, NC. We are still in the process of figuring out a price. She's had many upgrades, Garmin radar, chart plotter, Tictac,Harken roller furler, new canvas, new interior cushions and more. Davits with dinghy. She has been well maintained.

Print Friendly
Pete & Suzanne Evans
popeyeloza
Members
November 1, 2014 - 3:26 pm
Forum Posts: 26

Get better, Quick, Pete! (She's selling the boat)

Just Kidding Suzanne, but all the same Pete, get better soon.  I feel for your loss of quality of life as I was hurt in 94 and thought things were over as I knew it and dammed luck would have it, I was right.  It sucked for a few years anyway, but very long story short, just when I thought boating was over for me, yada, yada, yada, I found a way and because of this DE32 I was able to keep the dreams alive, albeit scaled down a bit.  It's the one thing that is keeping me going.  I may not be ready for a race across an ocean but I've come a long way from that "bed".  Stiff upper lip Pete, and stay positive. You will amaze yourself. 

Hope your darkest hour has past and things look better for you both.  Good Luck with selling the boat.  She sounds great so don't let her go for cheap.

Print Friendly
Isabella
Matthews Point, NC
Members
November 1, 2014 - 4:27 pm

We are being realistic on price! We have moved over to the dark side. We will be owners of a 36' Endeavor trawler cat as of Nov 10th. We opted for what will work for us and still be on the water. Someone will come along to love Isabella! She is headed to Oriental at the end of the month to come out of the water.

Print Friendly
Pete & Suzanne Evans
Isabella
Matthews Point, NC
Members
November 9, 2014 - 7:04 pm

Like selling a house we are doing some projects before Isabella goes on the market. Today we applied Kiwi Grip to the decks. I have to say this is the best product and so easy to apply. You just trowel it on, use their special rough rollers. About an hour after applying, pull up the painters tape. It should be dry in the morning. It's rubberized latex! We're impressed!!!

Print Friendly
Pete & Suzanne Evans
Scott Carle
Admin
November 10, 2014 - 8:27 am
Forum Posts: 1480

I used one of the truck bed liner kinda products on our decks that was rated for marine use and if doing it over would go kiwi grip.. I love the feel of our stuff but it is rough to clean. I had to use full strength as in industrial strength clorox (not grocery store clorox.. I think what I used was 4.5%) on the decks to clean them after the boat had sat for 9 months with out being cleaned. generic boat soap did nothing, simple green did nothing, diluted clorox tried but didn't work well enough and I had another industrial cleaner that usually kicks ass but it only partially got it. Full strength clorox splashed on a wet deck and scrubbed in with a deck brush and left to sit for 10 minutes then scrubbed again and rinsed did the job...

The other issue with the stuff I got was that on a couple areas where something was sitting on top of the deck, you could dell that the product I used sun faded except the area where the item covered it. :(... I still like it and it was super easy to apply with no primer needed. Went down right over the old nonskid after a good cleaning. It seems to be physically very tough but very rubbery flexible and nice to walk or sit on even though it is a very coarse surface with a lot of texture. Doesn't get as hot as the old non-skid in the sun.

I got it for under 70 dollars a gallon and 5 gallons is enough to do the whole deck so cost wise it is very effective practically speaking.. just some rollers and a lot of tape.. do it once and not worry having to do a primer layer and then the top coat layer etc.. I did roll each area a couple times to get a thick coat on ... Roll and then wait till it was just past tacking up and then roll another coat real quick at a 90 degree angle to the first coat. Doing it myself I got 4/5 of the decks done in a short afternoon and then a long afternoon the next day. That included taping and painting. Oh sanding was another afternoon the week before. Just took 50 grit and scuffed the old existing nonskid surface which was sand in a paint. Looked factory.. old and chipping and worn after 38 years. Still effective but pretty unsightly.

The only reason I didn't go back with sand in paint was that I have lost to much skin and bled to much on that stuff and wanted to try a rubberized coating that wouldn't eat clothes or bodies that continually seem to come into contact with it.

Print Friendly
Scott Carle DE38 Cutter s/v Valkyr
Isabella
Matthews Point, NC
Members
November 11, 2014 - 4:37 pm

Strangely enough, I find that clorox toilet cleaner works great on some tough stains. You deserve an award for working so hard on your decks. We were just lucky that one of our slip neighbors had just done their decks with Kiwi Grip and loved the out come.

Print Friendly
Pete & Suzanne Evans
Scott Carle
Admin
November 12, 2014 - 8:42 am
Forum Posts: 1480

lol... me work hard? I might work hard for a little bit with the goal of making it easier down the road... this time it didn't work out quite like I hoped but still for the price I'm pretty happy with at least the functionality if not the cleanability 🙂

Print Friendly
Scott Carle DE38 Cutter s/v Valkyr
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 120

Currently Online:
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming weswsimpson