Estimated value in 2010? Looking to buy a particular DE 32 now listed at $55,000 Boats for Sale Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Estimated value in 2010? Looking to buy a particular DE 32 now listed at $55,000
HopefulCaptain
Members
May 4, 2010 - 5:12 pm
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A boat I really loved the look of in Santa Barbara always caught my eye, turns out it was/is a Downeaster 32.  [Image Can Not Be Found]  Verrry interesting coincidence because..  Right now I'm looking at a different DE 32 for sale, it's late 70's manufacture, to buy as my first sailboat, it's in great looking condition with very clean gear & engine, with list price of: _ $55,000 _.   Wow!  For 32 feet?   Holy cow!   (It does come with transferrable slip, which has a long wait list even these days, so this slip has some value to the total package, to the tune of ~$10-15k or so based on the bad boats with slips that still sell for many bills.)  

Anyone willing to help by suggesting the value of your own Downeaster, as it is hard to pinpoint a comparable because there are so few of these out there.  I'll be dropping an offer to the broker next week.  Sure I'll get a survey and haul out done, though as for a first offer price, I could end up going too low or too high.  (Broker suggested 10% discount as starting offer.)  Meanwhile there's one in LA that has a list price of $30k.  Confusing!

Print Friendly
Scott Carle
Admin
May 4, 2010 - 6:41 pm
Forum Posts: 1480
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I don't think there is a really good consensus as to DE boat values..

I will give my opionion based on what I have seen in the last year. You should take it with a grain of salt.

Values will vary widely depending on the condition of the boat.

functional but needing TLC DE38's have sold for as little as 25 grand in the last couple years.

There is a really nice looking DE32 listed in the boats for sale here on the site for 29 grand or so.

There are several DE38's for sale in the 45 to 70 range and I don't think any of them have sold in the last couple years.

I think a very nice condition DE38 with not a lot of upgrades but cosmetically perfect and good sails etc.. should be in the 40's if  you can find the right buyer

A DE32 in the same condition would probably be low mid 30's

A boat with goodies such as radar, chart plotters, autopilot, ssb radio, windvane's, a big sail inventory and other nice upgrades could very well start pushing 10 to 20 thousand more than that base price. This is assuming all that works.

Any systems that don't work and need repair will bring the price down.

At the end of the day though it is what someone will pay for it. Right now for any boat that isn't a lot. With the economy the way it is it is mostly a buyers market. Many people are just holding on to their boats if they can hoping that stuff will turn around and they can get more out of their boat at a later time.

Print Friendly
Scott Carle DE38 Cutter s/v Valkyr
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 120

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming weswsimpson